Thursday, July 29, 2010

How does this affect me?

What does anti-ableism mean to me

Inclusion
Freedom
A life to live
Hope
Power
Strength
Happiness
Freedom of speech
Friendship
Empowerment

What does ableism mean to me
Segregation
Restriction
No reason to live
Hopeless
Weakness
Sadness
Silence
Loneliness
Worthless

Because I have some physical restrictions some people think that I am unable to do anything. I also communicate in different ways than “normal” and that has made people think that I am also unable to understand the spoken word. When in fact I can indeed understand every word that you are saying to me. My physical restrictions in actuality do not hold me down. Although I am not able to always go to places I want, that is not at my choosing.

I am in power of who I am. I am David. That is how my family and friends see me, and that is how I require you to see me also. I have rights, the right for friends of any race, gender, ability, or disability. I have the right to a relationship. I have the right to go to school, (and not a segregated one) and to learn what everyone else is learning. I have the right to stand up and be my own voice. I own the right to be happy and have continuous hope

No comments:

Post a Comment